Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont said Thursday that the state remains on track to reopen schools this fall amid the coronavirus pandemic, but said his administration is still several weeks away from having a full grasp on how many students will physically return to classrooms in September.
“I know there’s been some hot rhetoric coming out of the White House, ‘if you don’t open we’re going to hold back your funding, don’t be a wimp,’” Lamont said Thursday, seemingly mocking President Trump. “We’re not listening to that.”
TRUMP SAYS ‘VIRTUAL LEARNING’ IS ‘TERRIBLE,’ THREATENS TO CUT FEDERAL FUNDING FOR SCHOOLS
Lamont was referring to the president’s threats this week to cut federal funding for school districts should they remain closed during the fall due to surges in positive cases of the novel coronavirus in states across the country. Trump this week also vowed to put “pressure” on governors to ensure that schools reopen.
Meanwhile, Lamont stressed that his state’s school reopening plans would be “based on metrics, based on the trend lines, the science and numbers, to give [parents] confidence we can do this safely.”
Lamont said school superintendents are currently reviewing guidelines that were prepared by Connecticut’s Department of Education last month, which include the ability to shift between in-person learning and remote learning.