At long last, it’s NFL draft week!
The time for mock drafts is coming to a merciful end. The Jacksonville Jaguars are just three days away from officially being put on the clock by commissioner Roger Goodell to kick off the draft in Cleveland.
As teams finalize their draft boards, so has USA TODAY Sports, which unveils its rankings of the top 50 prospects in this year’s class. From the surefire No. 1 overall pick, Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence, to the 50th-ranked player, Oklahoma DE Ronnie Perkins, take a look at the most highly sought-after players in the draft.
- Top 50 prospects: Lawrence, Pitts lead class
- Mock draft: What if … the Cowboys make a blockbuster trade up?
- NFL draft: Complete seven-round order
NFL draft: Mocks, rankings and more
- Mock draft: QBs are the focal point, but what happens with Florida TE Kyle Pitts could be the talk of Thursday night.
- Bro hugs may be back at NFL draft, but is push for normalcy safe? NFL’s plans to play 2021 season to full stadiums could be bolstered — or hindered — by what happens in Cleveland at this week’s draft, Jarrett Bell writes.
- Conditions are ripe for several draft-day steals: The impact of COVID-19 could reveal the gap between best, worst talent evaluators.
- Mac Jones’ draft rise leaves lots of questions: Jones is hardly the prototype for a quarterback set to become an early draft pick.
- Size won’t stop 166-pound WR from greatness: Hall of Famer Isaac Bruce doesn’t think DeVonta Smith’s slight frame will keep the Alabama receiver from achieving big things in the NFL.
- QB can turn draft gossip about epilepsy into a positive: Now that Justin Fields’ epilepsy has gone public, he can make a difference by breaking down stigmas.
- Justin Fields: NFL draft man of mystery: Despite a stellar college career, the Ohio State QB has become a polarizing figure for those analyzing the draft.
- Penei Sewell upset over Justin Herbert criticism: Sewell, a likely top-10 draft selection, didn’t like seeing former teammate Justin Herbert get heavily criticized last year.
- 11 teams that might turn heads by drafting a QB: The teams with the top three picks in this year’s draft are all expected to select quarterbacks. But who else might be in the market for a passer?
- 10 boom-or-bust prospects: There are plenty of high-risk, high-reward players available in this year’s draft.
- 101 biggest draft busts in history: As the draft approaches, so too do the fears that players you target and select, or trades you don’t make, blow up in your face.
- PHOTOS: Latest mock draft
NFL news and notes
- Orlando Brown Jr. trade winners, losers: The Ravens’ decision to send the offensive tackle to the Chiefs in a trade Friday has widespread ramifications.
- Gronk sets world record: Rob Gronkowski will find himself in the Guinness Book of World Records after catching a football dropped out of a helicopter 600 feet in the air.
- Tom Brady rips ‘dumb’ NFL rule change on jersey numbers: Last week, the league adopted a rule change easing restrictions on approved jersey numbers. The Super Bowl-winning QB is not on board.
- Alex Smith: WFT ‘patronizing’ during comeback: Smith inspired many with his comeback for the Washington Football Team, but the quarterback took issue with his coaches’ approach.
NFL Facebook group: Join now!
If you love talking football, we have the perfect spot for you. Join our Facebook Group, The Ruling Off the Field, to engage in friendly debate and conversation with fellow football fans and our NFL insiders.